Celebrating Volunteers' Week 2019
Across the UK this week is Volunteers’ Week from 1st - 7th June, which is an annual celebration highlighting the contribution volunteers make.
It is a great opportunity for us to say an extra special thank you to our own volunteers and to let our members know a bit more about our brilliant volunteer team. Throughout the week, we will be sharing a volunteer story each day, covering various roles within our organisation – so do keep an eye out!
The Foundation would never have achieved as much as we have done without our volunteers’ help, they are such an important part of our organisation. They get involved with the following activities:
- Our team of Helpline Operators provide support and information on our Patient Helpline Monday-Friday. Some do regular shifts and some provide cover when needed.
- Telephone Buddies give one-to-one peer and emotional support to those who have a similar condition to them or are in a similar situation.
- Our network of Local Support Groups continue to provide face-to-face support and information to patients, carers, and families across the UK and ROI. The team of Area Coordinators work so hard in organising meetings, sending emails, responding to enquiries, arranging speakers and schedules.
- Office Volunteers help us with a variety of tasks here in our Bristol National Support Office, ranging from thank you letters, sending orders, financial work, to analysing call statistics from our Helplines.
- Fundraising Group Leaders & Ambassadors raise money for us by organising events themselves, joining us at events we organise or simply encouraging their friends/family to get involved.
- Forum Moderators keep an eye on activities and topics coming up on our forum.
- Campaigners and Ambassadors raise awareness in their local communities and also attend events on our behalf to run stands or give presentations.
- Health care professionals on our Medical Committee participate in conversations when queries arise and are a vital support to our Patient Services team.
- And not forgetting our wonderful Board of Trustees, who provide governance and strategic planning for The Foundation.
The current top two reasons given by our volunteers for their volunteering contributions are that:
- “I find it rewarding and satisfying to know I am helping others”
- “I have benefitted from The Pituitary Foundation services myself and therefore enjoy giving something back”
We are delighted to report that in our latest volunteer satisfaction survey, 86% of our volunteers rated their experience as excellent or good. We support, engage, and encourage our volunteers; doing our best to ensure volunteers know how highly valued they are. One of our longstanding volunteers, Steve, has said “Volunteering can be extremely rewarding and it is up to you how far you get involved - whatever you choose to do, you can be assured that someone will be grateful”.
Staff and volunteers are working together towards one aim - our volunteers’ knowledge and expertise are vital in helping us to improve the lives of pituitary patients.
A huge thank you to our volunteers for their outstanding commitment, from all the staff at The Pituitary Foundation. The support they provide to patients, the awareness they raise and the contribution they make to our charity and the pituitary community is invaluable.
Read a selection of our volunteer stories here:
- Joy's story - Area Co-ordinator, Telephone Buddy & Helpline Operator
- Phil's story - Trustee and Office Volunteer
- Dominika's story - Area Co-ordinator and Campaigner
- Indi's story - Medical Committee
- Annie's story - Area Co-ordinator and Telephone Buddy
- Ann's story - Helpline Operator
- Sarah's story - Fundraising Ambassador
- Steve's story - Ambassador and Telephone Buddy - coming soon!
Please note: if anyone is interested in becoming a volunteer, at present we are at full capacity and are trying not to exceed this to ensure that we have the resources to be able to support each volunteer adequately in their roles. However, do monitor our website and social media in the next few months as we will always advertise if we are recruiting for a specific role. You are also welcome to get in contact anyway to express an interest and we can keep your information on file in case anything comes up. Thank you for your understanding!