Solent & Isle of Wight
The Solent & IOW Support Group covers the areas surrounding Portsmouth, Southampton & also the Isle of Wight. We hold regular, informal get-togethers with relevant speakers & everyone is made very welcome.
During this unprecendented Covid-19 time, you may like to get in touch if you're feeling really isolated trying to deal with your pituitary condition so PLEASE do reach out & either telephone or email (contact details shown further down).
Our Portsmouth area meetings are held in the Garden Room at Cosham Community Centre, Wootton Street, Cosham PO6 3AP and we kick off at the times shown below (there is ample free parking together with a pay & display car-park next door).
We also meet once a year ('ish) on the Isle of Wight and also every second year at Southampton General Hospital
All potential dates for 2022 are shown to the right and full details for our individual meetings are shown below but these may still not go ahead because of Covid-19. However, we have now held 3 successful Zoom video meetings but then decided to go ahead with our first face to face meeting in 2 years on 4th December last year & it was sooo lovely to get back into the swing of things ! Fingers crossed things remain as they are with 'dear old Covid' and we then welcomed Specialist Endocrine Nurse Sirbrina Ramharack for a very interactive Q&A session for our March meeting.
We frequently invite professional and relevant speakers & all pituitary patients, carers (for want of a better word), family and friends are very welcome. We always hold a raffle (prizes gratefully received on the day, although nothing to break the bank of course!). Refreshments are available too.
We have welcomed new patients & their partners, family or friends at our meetings, so if you have recently found out you are a pituitary patient or just found out that we as a support group exist, come along & join us for a get-together & you'll be made very welcome.
The group can sometimes offer lifts from various places, so if you have any enquiries about this contact Gail by telephone or by clicking on the email link below.
WHAT TO EXPECT - We appreciate it can be a daunting experience meeting new people for the first time, so here's a brief scenario of what happens:
- There is a sign on display showing where to find us in the Garden Room, which is light and airy with good heating and toilets.
- You will be welcomed as soon as you arrive and offered tea, coffee, fruit juice and biccies too.
- We do ask you to sign in giving your name, address, contact number & email address if you have one. This is so that we can send you our quarterly Newsletters.
- You won’t just be left to stand there like the proverbial ‘lemon’; one of us will chat with you about your particular Pituitary condition and we'll be very happy to help and to advise the various options & information available if you want us to. Plus, we can usually introduce you to at least one other person with the same Pituitary condition as yourself.
- We’re a very friendly bunch, so come & give us a try!
All our meetings are now on a Saturday morning, which is always so enjoyable because we are a little more alert and not in such a rush to get home to bed!
We held our third, very successful, Southampton meeting in May 2019 & were very fortunate to welcome Neurosurgeon Mr Mathad and Endo Nurses Nemia Pilobello & Alicja Knysak. Thanks to all who joined us on the day.
We held a big meeting at the Royal Bournemouth Hospital on Saturday 21st April 2018, with over 50 attendees and strong support from the Endo Team, Dr Tristan Richardson, Dr Georgina Page and both Endo Nurses Becci Watling & Michelle Nation. They have now formed their own local support group (Dorset) so look out for more info regarding meetings on the Foundation's website.
We look forward to meeting you for a chat, a sharing of experiences, the odd whinge, and a laugh or two as well. We've chatted & had a couple of patient led (thanks to our old friend Vernon) discussions recently so why not come along to hear the 'hints & tips', which very often, only we as patients find out along our different pituitary paths.
AND lastly, if any of you out there have a particular subject or speaker you'd like to suggest for any of our gatherings, please contact us via this site. Very importantly, if you want to just have a chat about any pituitary issue (however small it may seem), get in touch via this site - Bye for now.......
Our most recent Newsletter is now available to download:
Joint Area Co-ordinator Gail Weingartner - email
Contact Tel: Gail & Pam Weingartner - 01428 651526 / 07525 041947
Facebook page: Solent & IOW pituitary support group
Next Meeting Dates .
- Saturday 18 June - 10am - Speaker Krishan Raymead on Network Spinal Analysis - read our March newsletter for more info on this amazing therapy
- Isle of Wight - Saturday 9 July - 10.30am - At least one member of the Endocrine Team from St Mary's Hospital will be joining us
- NOW Saturday 1 October (changed from 17 Sept)- 10am - Speaker Jay Sheppard from the Pituitary Foundation National Support Office
- Saturday 3 December - 10am - our usual social get-together pre Christmas with a quiz, music, etc.
- We are also exploring inviting speakers from the Air Ambulance, Blood Bikers, the National Osteoporosis Society & a Biochemist We hold a raffle during all our meetings (quality items gratefully received on the day).